Easy system monitoring with Cacti under OpenBSD and nginx
Cacti is a great monitoring tool based on RRDTool and SNMP, I use this solution for more than 10 years, the project is very active, easy to manage and to maintain.
So today we’ll take the easy way !
Here, Cacti is just used by myself, so I need to restrict access to the service for more security, and to make sure that everything is running without privileges.
So… what do we need to make this wonderful project a reality ?
- An Operating System (“Do you have any others jokes like that ?” – “Plenty !”), we’ll take OpenBSD, what else ?
- A chrooted http server, what about nginx ? seems perfect to me as it’s chrooted by default on OpenBSD
- A snmp daemon, net-snmp is a great tool your can use to collect your datas
- RRDTool to generate your graphs
- PHP / MySQL, should I explain why ?